In May, I called on analysis software users to send me their explosive blockbuster clips, made without the help of Hollywood celebrities. The idea was to issue an open call for story pitches in the form of animated clips, the kind that you can easily export from a FEA (finite element analysis) or CFD (computational fluid dynamics) package after a simulation session. (I had to specify it to make sure I wasn’t flooded with a deluge of home videos showing household pets doing tricks.)
Here are the four that caught my eyes, presented in no particular order (click on the corresponding images to go to the video):
- Multibody simulation featuring a ball bearing with flexible outer race, from Brant at MotionPort.
- Optimized blade shape of a wind turbine, from Travis at The University of Texas.
- Airflow around the wheels and inside the wheel wells of a motorcycle traveling at 250 mph, from David at Design Dreams.
- CFD simulation of the air flow around a generic open wheel race car, from Richard at Symscape.
My heartfelt thanks to everyone who submitted clips! It’s now time to help me select one from these worthy four. Please leave a comment to tell me:
- which one you’d like to see as the topic of my next article;
- what more you’d like to know about this particular simulation.
If you’d rather email me directly with your choice, please send it to Kennethwongsf [at] earthlink.net.
I look forward to your input!