Editor’s Note: This Q&A with Industrial Designer James Carruthers was submitted by Stephen Hoshaw, an account coordinator at Liaison Public Relations, which represents the companies mentioned in the Q&A. Because our recent post, A Salute to Flying Cars, mentioned the Samson Switchblade, we thought our readers would be interested in the designer’s background.
Industrial designer James Carruthers lends his creative vision and expertise to intricate projects ranging from transportation and automotive design to jewelry and product packaging. Carruthers opened his Ottawa-based studio in 1999 and provides his international client roster with a full menu of design, design-visualization and consulting services. A long-time avid user of Robert McNeel & Associates Rhinoceros 3D modeling toolset, Carruthers has recently extended his focus and toolset to stay at the forefront of changing trends in industrial design. Continue reading →
Transportation mash-ups are a popular engineering topic, with the long-promised flying car being the most sought-after hybrid craft.
When it comes to bemoaning the lack of levitating autos, no one has the credibility of Popular Science, which has been talking about flying cars since 1924, as the editors helpfully inform us in this brief history of flying car technology slideshow. Continue reading →
We’ve previously discussed the noticeable lack of flying cars in the 21st Century, despite promises made by decades of science fiction films and cartoons. Magnetic levitation may hold some promise in delivering high-style transportation, but in the meantime at least two companies have come up with car/plane/helicopter hybrids that do, indeed, fly.
First up: Terrafugia, which successfully completed a test flight of its Transition Street-Legal Airplane, a two-seat vehicle with folding wings that can be driven on a highway and flown using standard unleaded gasoline. Continue reading →
- Human simulation with Siemens PLM’s Jack and Jill
- Marine and Offshore CFD Simulation
- Silicon Mechanics Offers Intel Xeon E7-4800V2 Processors
- MachineWorks Unveils New Controller-Based Simulation
- ZW3D CAD Library Released with Free 3D Models
- GE Partners With NVIDIA on High-Performance Embedded Computing Solution
- Altair Partner Alliance Expands Its Composites Modeling Offering
- 17-Year-Old Sophi Points to The Hunger Games and Iron Man as Her Wish-List for Future CAD
- Jury Rules Against Altair in MSC Lawsuit
- Prelude to COFES 2014: Time to Break the Code To Rebuild It?
- Battling Robots Help MathWorks Get Aspiring Engineers in its Corner
- NVIDIA GTC 2014: The Dawn of Pascal; the Rise of the Machines
- Solid Concepts and Equus Bring the Automotive Muscle
- Wastestream to Mainstream Has a Big Vision for 3D Printing and Recycling
- Koenigsegg Harnesses Additive Manufacturing for the One:1
- GIGTANK Startup Accelerator Drives Additive Manufacturing Innovation
- Staples and 3D Systems Partner for In-store 3D Printing
- New Blood Recycling Machine Contains 3D Printed Parts
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Develops New Additive Manufacturing Process