Editor’s Note: This Q&A with Industrial Designer James Carruthers was submitted by Stephen Hoshaw, an account coordinator at Liaison Public Relations, which represents the companies mentioned in the Q&A. Because our recent post, A Salute to Flying Cars, mentioned the Samson Switchblade, we thought our readers would be interested in the designer’s background.
Industrial designer James Carruthers lends his creative vision and expertise to intricate projects ranging from transportation and automotive design to jewelry and product packaging. Carruthers opened his Ottawa-based studio in 1999 and provides his international client roster with a full menu of design, design-visualization and consulting services. A long-time avid user of Robert McNeel & Associates Rhinoceros 3D modeling toolset, Carruthers has recently extended his focus and toolset to stay at the forefront of changing trends in industrial design. Continue reading →
Transportation mash-ups are a popular engineering topic, with the long-promised flying car being the most sought-after hybrid craft.
When it comes to bemoaning the lack of levitating autos, no one has the credibility of Popular Science, which has been talking about flying cars since 1924, as the editors helpfully inform us in this brief history of flying car technology slideshow. Continue reading →
We’ve previously discussed the noticeable lack of flying cars in the 21st Century, despite promises made by decades of science fiction films and cartoons. Magnetic levitation may hold some promise in delivering high-style transportation, but in the meantime at least two companies have come up with car/plane/helicopter hybrids that do, indeed, fly.
First up: Terrafugia, which successfully completed a test flight of its Transition Street-Legal Airplane, a two-seat vehicle with folding wings that can be driven on a highway and flown using standard unleaded gasoline. Continue reading →
- Dell Announces new M2800 Precision 15-in. Mobile Workstation for $1,199
- FARO Launches Laser Scanner Focus 3D X 130
- Plastic Scribbler Ships Asterid 1100 3D Printer
- Nimbix Ships Cloud-based 3D Workstations
- Agilent Introduces 14-Slot AXIe Chassis for Large Multi-Channel Test Systems
- Hexagon Metrology Launches 360° Smart Inline Measurement Solutions
- Artec Group Announces Master Distribution Partnership with ScanSource
- Aras Conducts Benchmark Tests on PLM Deployment with 100,000+ Concurrent Users
- Dell Starts the Party at SXSW with Virtualization
- Lenovo ThinkStation S30: A Workstation To Keep Up With Your Imagination
- Prelude to NVIDIA GTC 2014: Interactive Training for the Video Game Generation
- New Innovation Institutes To Advance U.S. Manufacturing
- Amazon Tests Print-on-Demand Services
- Will Lego and Additive Manufacturing Fit Together?
- Chuck Hull to be Inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Researchers Develop Multifunctional Membranes for Heart Health with 3D Printing
- Additive Manufacturing Brings Marusenko Sphere 3D Puzzle to Life
- President Obama Announces Launch of Two New Innovation Institutes
- ORNL Partnership Could Produce the Fastest 3D Printer Yet