Pointwise is sponsoring five teams for the SAE Collegiate Design Series 2012, as well as the SAE Aero Design East and West competitions this spring.
We re thrilled to continue our sponsorship of student teams for these SAE events, said John Chawner, Pointwise s president. Seeing how computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can impact their designs often lights a spark that leads to a career interest in computational simulation. Or at least it should improve their designs and help them place higher in the results. We wish all of them the best of luck.
The competition, intended to provide undergraduate and graduate engineering students with a real-life engineering challenge, has been designed to provide exposure to the kinds of situations common in the professional environment. Primarily a design competition, it requires students to perform trade studies and make compromises to arrive at a design solution that will optimally meet the mission requirements while conforming to the configuration limitations.
Teams fly their airplanes as part of the event. SAE Aero Design features three classes of competition, regular, advanced and micro.
Teams sponsored by Pointwise are:
- The Flying Dutchmen from Union College in Schenectady, NY, entered in the Aero-East competition
- The Assailing Falcons from Vellore Institute of Technology in Tamil Nadu, India, entered in the Aero-West competition
- The UTA Formula SAE Racing team from the University of Texas at Arlington, entered in the Formula SAE competition
- The UTA Formula Hybrid team from the University of Texas at Arlington, entered in the Formula Hybrid competition
- The Bigg Bird team from Ohio Northern University in Ada, OH, entered in the Aero East competition.
For more information, visit Pointwise.
Sources: Press materials received from the company and additional information gleaned from the company's website.