Altair Engineering, Inc. has announced the upcoming release of PBS Professional 11.0.
As a commercial-grade HPC workload and resource management, PBS Professional continues to help customers increase software use and ROI, and help improve overall productivity.
According to Altair, major features and benefits of PBS Professional 11.0 include:
- Faster Scheduling: Scheduler speed is up to three times faster, down to less than 30 seconds per cycle for typical HPC workloads (on up to 80,000 cores).
- Faster Submission: Job submission speed is seven times faster.
- Faster Cold Start: Cold start is 45 times faster, reduced to less than one minute for 100,000 jobs.
- Re-architected Cray Support: PBS Professional "vnode" support for Cray systems, allowing individual MPI task selection, task placement, support for node exclusivity, and the framework for topology-aware scheduling.
Additionally, the company says PBS Professional meets the growing demand for:
- Cloud Computing: HPC software-as-a-service (SaaS) Clouds are being powered by the full PBS Works suite, including Altair's own HyperWorks On-demand.
- Topology-aware Scheduling: With the addition of Cray support, PBS Professional now optimizes task placement for all HPC network topologies—such as Infiniband, SGI, Cray, IBM and GigE—improving application performance and reducing network contention.
- GPU Scheduling: Leveraging PBS Professional's extensible architecture allows for graphic processing units (GPUs) scheduling on all platforms.
“The future of GPU technology for HPC as a general-purpose computing unit is becoming increasingly important as the industry moves toward GPU-based clusters for running scientific and engineering applications,” says PBS Works Chief Technical Officer Bill Nitzberg, Ph.D. “The ability for a workload management tool, like PBS Professional, to support GPU configuration and scheduling is essential to enable this type of computing. With PBS Professional, customers are able to use a CPU and GPU together in a heterogeneous computing model, greatly increasing application speed and lowering overall power requirements.”
PBS Works also offers other HPC solutions within its suite: PBS Catalyst and PBS Analytics. PBS Catalyst simplifies the submission and management of jobs running on PBS Professional compute nodes. PBS Catalyst comes as two modules: a Web-based version, allowing users to submit work to remote PBS Professional compute nodes, and a desktop client version, enabling users to submit jobs to local and remote systems.
PBS Analytics is a data analysis and visualization solution that provides PBS Works administrators with job and license analyses to support data-driven planning and decision-making. These Web-based portals support multiple simultaneous views of historical usage data. PBS Analytics includes two modules: License Analytics and Workload Analytics.
For more information, visit Altair.
Sign-up for a floating 30-days trial license of PBS Professional.
Learn about PBS Professional’s Green Provisioning capabilities.
Go here to browse a library of PBS Works case studies.
A sampling of PBS Works clients sorted by industry is here.
Register for access to pre-recorded webinars.
Browse the PBS Works blog.
See why DE's Editors selected PBS Professional 11.0 as their Pick of the Week.
Sources: Press materials received from the company and additional information gleaned from the company's website.