Judges are unpaid and independent.
All designs will be assessed using the following criteria:
- Originality and innovation
- Usefulness of the application
- Technical merit;
- Innovative use of components
- Completeness of Entry
- Feasibility of Design
- Supporting documentation
Judges will evaluate the design as well as the enabling technologies. All decisions of the judges are final.
1. Design must be submitted by the designer, design team member, design company, or vendor of underlying technologies and who s technology was used to create the design.
2. Design must be submitted with knowledge of the owner of intellectual property (IP) of the design. Vendors must have written approval from designer to submit the design.
3. The design must at least be in the MCAD stage of the design process.
4. Submission must include a written description of the project (500 words, maximum) in which you describe the market for the product, the intended application, the functionality, and the industries involved. You must also, in addition to the above, describe the enabling technology underlying the design if submitting in the simulation, computing, or rapid technologies categories.
5. A design can be entered in more than one category.
6. You must include high-resolution (at least 1100-pixel-wide, or 300 dpi in at least a 3 in. x 4 in. size) images in tiff, jpeg or eps format that accurately depict the design at different stages of the designing process.
7. No Level 5 Communications employees, Desktop Engineering freelancers or contributing editors and members of their families may submit designs.
8. Deadline for submissions is August 21, 2009.
Level 5 Communications and Desktop Engineering agree not to publish any information about individual designs before December 1, 2009.
Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges, their stories will be highlighted in our December 2009 issue, and will be awarded plaques, and more.
The Competition is open to any natural or legal person, firm or company or group of natural persons or unincorporated body.
Entrants who are individuals must be aged at least 18 on June 1, 2009 and teams of individuals must all be aged at least 18 years on June 1, 2009.
Entrants shall not be permitted to enter the Competition if by entering into the Competition they may cause the Organizer and/or themselves to be in breach of any agreement (including but not limited to any contract of employment) to which they are a party or in breach of any law, regulation or rule having the force of law to which the Organizer or the entrant may be subject. The Organizer reserves the right to disqualify any entry made in breach of this condition.
The Competition is NOT open to:
Any employee, director, member, shareholder (as appropriate) or any of their direct families (parents, siblings, spouse, partner, children) ("Direct Families") of the Organizer; or
The Judges or any of their Direct Families.